Round French breads are perfect to have as a side dish to a meal. They are super easy to make and taste amazing with homemade whipped butter. Sometimes I even like to cut them up into slices, toast the slices and top the slices off with fresh marinara sauce, cheese and some fresh herb and bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for ten minutes to make mini French Bread Pizzas. However, you are not here to learn about how to make mini French bread pizzas so let us get on with learning how to make round French breads.
Teaspoon of Sea Salt
Tablespoon of Honey
2 Teaspoons of Active Dry Yeast
3 to 4 Cups of Flour
1 to 2 Cups of Water
2 to 3 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
1. Place all the ingredients into an electric mixing bowl and place your dough hook onto your mixing device. Place the mixer in the bowl and let the dough hook work your dough out until it is smooth and elastic like it texture. You may need to adjust the flour and water ratio depending on the humidity in the area you are working in. If the dough is too sticky, add a small amount of flour at a time to help smooth the dough out. If the dough is to thick and dry, add a small amount of water at a time until you achieve a moist smooth dough.
2. Once the dough is ready, pour it out onto a floured surface and cut it up into three or four equal parts and roll those parts into three or four round dough balls.
3. Place the dough balls onto a greased cookie sheet that has been lightly sprinkled with cornmeal and allow the dough balls to rise on them for about an hour or until they have doubled in size.
4. Next, place the risen dough balls into a 400 degree oven and bake them for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
5. Remove the round French breads from the oven onto a cooling wrack and allow them to cool for twenty minutes before serving them up or storing them in a zip lock bag or airtight container.