Spring is here, and all the flowers, trees, greens and vines are sprouting and growing. Soon, you will be outside trimming bushes and trees, mowing lawns, planting flowers, trying to pull weeds and figuring out how to get rid of that poison ivy plants that just keep's growing rapidly.
Never Burn Poison Ivy Plants
One of the worst ways of trying to get rid of poison ivy plants is by burning them. Burning poison ivy is extremely dangerous to do because when you burn the plant you are actually burning the oils within it as well and the poison into the air you breathe. When you breath in the air of burning poison ivy plants you are actually allowing the oils into your body, and allowing the poisons to get into your lungs creating an allergic reaction and rash inside of you instead of on the outside you. A poison ivy reaction is harder to treat inside the body rather than out, which could potentially lead to death.
Say No to Weed Killers
Weed killers are another no, no when it comes to ridding poison ivy. The chemicals in the plant killer may kill the plant, but it won't rid the oils away. In fact, because you believe the plant is dead, you might go ahead and try pulling the plant up and tossing it away in a compost pile. All this is doing is spreading the oils all over your yard. This will create an unsafe backyard for your pets, children and as well as you to hangout in when fresh air is needed.
Never Ever Cut the Vines
The third worst way of getting rid of poison ivy vines is by cutting all the vines away from the area you want the plant to be gone from immediately. When you cut the vines, your only getting rid of the vines and spreading the poison ivy oils all over yourself, while leaving the roots of the plant still in the ground, which will only cause the plant to grow back. This will just leave you with a messy itchy situation and a mess outdoors.
Proper way of Getting Rid of Poison Ivy
Now the only way I know how to get rid of any kind of poison ivy plant without getting a rash is by digging the plant up by the roots carefully with a shovel. However, you must be completely dressed in some sort of plastic suit, boots and gloves to ensure the oils of the plant don't transfer onto the skin. Once you dig up the poisonous plant, toss it away in an area you never adventure into or bury it into the ground some place far away in the woods.
After, having a garbage bag ready, and remove the plastic suiting you are wearing and place that into the bag. Next, take a cool soap shower with dish detergent such as Dawn for a good 10-minutes to rinse your body off completely. After, you may take a warm shower to finish off your shower. You just don't want to use warm water to rinse off because it will open up the pores and cause any potential oils that may have gotten onto your skin to soak into it creating a rash later. Once that is complete make sure you dispose of the contaminated plastic clothing properly at a waste facility.
By now, you should know what not to do and what is okay to do when it comes to handling poison ivy plants. If you need more information you can view the sources below.
Get Rid of It