My family and I are always looking for new meals to try, so the other night we tried turkey meatloaf. Surprisingly it was easy to make and it came out delicious. Best of all it went along well with some creamy mashed potatoes, some tender garlicky butter rolls and a lovely healthy Caesar salad.
Ingredients Needed for Turkey Meatloaf
(Double the ingredients for a family larger than four people)
1 Pound of Ground Turkey Burger
3 Slices of White Whole Grain Bread Crumbled Up
Tablespoon of Milk
Pinch of Salt and Black Pepper
¼ Teaspoon each of Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Dried Parsley
1 Cup of Turkey or Chicken Gravy
½ Cup of Breadcrumbs
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the crumbled bread, milk, egg, spices and herbs together until you get a slightly damp breaded mixture. Do not make this mixture too wet or soupy in texture because ground turkey is very moist already and you do not want mushy meatloaf.
3. Add in the ground turkey to the crumbled bread mixture and combine the ingredients together until you get meat dough.
4. Press the meat dough into a tinfoil meatloaf pan (If you have doubled the recipe you will need two pans)
5. Pour the gravy over the top of the meatloaf and sprinkle on the breadcrumbs.
6. Place the meatloaf in the oven at 350 degrees for two hours.
7. When the meatloaf is ready, it will still have a pink tint to it. I ran into this and was like, “What the Heck! Why is my meatloaf still pink”? Truth be told, turkey has a pink tint to it once it has cooked. The meatloaf should be firm once it is done, but still a bit tender in the middle.
8. Slice the turkey meatloaf up into nice thick slices and serve it up with your favorite side dishes.